Skip to main content

It's About Time

"'Fool' said my Muse , to me, 'look in thy heart and write.' " 

                           Sonnet I, Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586)




 It's been around six months since I last wrote a blog, having lacked the inspiration towards literary creativity, thanks to a world-wide pandemic. It's been an introspective time when sharing thoughts with others has been low on my list. Much has happened over this hiatus, not the least of which has been the introduction of numerous vaccines against Covid-19 that has allowed many of us to resume some semblance of normality in our daily lives. So, what's happened over this time span and what have I been up to? 




 First, lest we forget, almost 600,000 lives have been lost in our country and millions globally. As I write this, the pandemic rages in other parts of the world. The virus, being what viruses do, is ever-changing, with new variants and more opportunities for transmission. Our own CDC has recommended a mask-off option for those who are immunized, save for public transport and health care facilities among other venues. Personally, I thing we've jumped the gun and hope a five-yard penalty for a false start will not figuratively set us back. There's over half of the country not yet fully immunized and probably a quarter that has, sadly, dug into vaccine hesitancy. The other great unknown is whether boosters will be required as viruses, like influenza, appear cyclically on a seasonal basis. My courageous wife was one of the first to volunteer in a vaccine study and, nine months out from being fully immunized, has already received a booster on a study protocol. All I can say is "We'll see...". 

 We have a new national leader which pleases me no end. Empathy and civility has returned to the White House but, as we all saw on Jan. 6th, our country is troubled and polarized. People have circled their wagons based on their beliefs and philosophies. Conspiratory, supremacist, and racist camps continue to define us, belying the name of our country, the UNITED States. We're really anything but that. There are leaders in our legislative branch that are veritably certifiable! 

 Globally, the nations of the world all seem to have a bone to pick with their neighbors and much of it is based on tribalism. There is a war somewhere in the world going on at any given moment. The international refugee situation is at a critical point. And who suffers? Children, women, the impoverished and the minorities. It breaks my heart to see that at least 55 Palestinian children have died these past few weeks in a never-ending struggle in the mid-east. Refugees continue their attempt to reach western European countries as well as at our own southern border, with no agreement in government on a sane immigration policy. 



So...I realize my first three paragraphs are nothing but bad news which means I need to take a break from the evening news and my on-line newspapers. There should, after all, be joy in life. As I get older, I've been working on developing some "rules" for a healthy well-balanced life, extending longevity and finding that "joy": 

 1. Keep your mind sharp with life-long learning, classes, reading, crosswords, creative writing, intellectual challenges, etc.
 
 2.Keep your body fit with movement, flexability, plentiful sleep and good nutrition. 

 3. Maintain your social contacts and gatherings, reach out to old friends, continue to laugh and find humor...love and be loved.

 There, that wasn't so bad, was it? So, what have I been up to in the past six months? 

 - As I love movies, I have seen some wonderful films and series through streaming. I've gotten to appreciate a good script and excellent acting which, in my mind, is when you don't realize the characters are acting at all. Some that I have enjoyed are "The Sinner" (Netflix), "Murder in..." ("Meutres a...") where crimes take place all over France, "Atlantic Crossing", "Sloane", "Schitt's Creek", "Kim's Convenience Store", "The Trial of the Chicago 7", "Call my Agent", "Shtisel", and many others. 

 - I returned, in February, after being fully immunized, to working with the third year medical students as they do their Pediatric Clerkship at our Golisano Children's Hospital where I observe them, give them feedback and mentor them. Working with bright young people really keeps one on their toes and it is very rewarding for me personally to pass on any knowledge I've accumulated over more than 40 years of medical practice. 

Golisano Children's Hospital


 - I continue to serve on community Boards, both of which have the mission of improving health in our nine-county area. I am extremely proud of this role as it can make a difference in people's lives. I also continue to serve on the State of Texas Healthcare Redesign team where I am one of perhaps 2 non-Texans! I've been working on my drawl but realize that a liberal New Yorker as myself doesn't always see eye to eye with a rather conservative southern legislature! 




 - I continue now, in my 42nd year, to study piano at the Eastman Community School of Music with the same teacher from day one. You would think it would get easier but as my hands are becoming arthritic, it is really more therapy than progress (but, nevertheless, enjoyable). 

 - I still get to play doubles tennis 2-3 times a week, seeking out younger and better players as it keeps one's game up. I don't always go for the shots I used to go for, thanks to a bum knee, but I can proudly say, I hold my own, relying on my forehand shot up the alley! 

 - I've gotten into my genealogy big time, doing more research on my family now back to the 1500's, using an assortment of tools, DNA, and resources to verify. Some interesting things have come from it all. In past blogs, I've mentioned discovering my half-brother to whom I've now become quite fond and close to as well as my dear Cypriot cousins in Cyprus and Germany.  Other little interesting tidbits were distant cousins, like Samuel Gompers, founder of the AFL (our son is active in his profession's union!).

Samuel Gompers, father of the American Labor Movement


 I have discovered family origins in the Netherlands back to the 1600's, Alsace-Lorraine in northeastern France, and, surprisingly, Italy (which is why I make a good pasta sauce?!). I will share the most interesting story I have yet found: My 13th Great-Grandfather (paternal) was Elia Menachem Chalfan (Halfan), a Venetian physician, Rabbi, and astronomer (Google him if interested). I have documentation that shows the following: When King Henry the Eighth of England wanted to divorce his wife, Catherine of Aragon, he sent an emissary to Rome to ask permission of the Pope to divorce her. When the Pope said, "Definitely not!", the emissary was then re-directed to Rabbi Chalfan to get a Rabbinical opinion which was favorable for the divorce. From whence cometh the Church of England and the demise of Thomas Moore!!!! I guess we were always troublemakers in our family! 

Not a happy couple!!!


Unfortunately, all of the stories I discovered were not happy ones.  My grandmother's cousin, Estella Agsteribbe, was the youngest member of the Dutch gymnastics team that won the Gold Medal in the 1928 Olympics, beating out Germany.  In the '40's, when the Nazis invaded the Netherlands, they rounded up the half of the team that were Jews and sent Estella to Auschwitz where she died with her husband and her two young children.
The Dutch 1928 Gold Olympic gold Medalists (Estella is 3rd from the right in the front row)


 - I have saved the best for last! Nine months ago, my wife and I became grandparents for the first time and, if that isn't joy, I don't know what is! This little child has rewarded our love with laughter and smiles that really tug on our heartstrings. Watching her develop over the past nine months has really been a gift, with each new skill, word, or movement. That is the beauty of the continuity of life and it gives meaning to the term, "Life goes on" as, indeed, it must. 

 Hopefully, I'll be a more faithful correspondent with more uplifting musings...now that I've found my Muse!

Comments

  1. So good to read some more interesting facts about your antecedents as well as your optimistic outlook. Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THANKSGIVING

  " From too much love of living, from hope and fear set free,     We thank with brief thanksgiving whatever gods may be That no man lives forever, that dead men rise up never; That even the weariest river winds somewhere safe to sea"                                   Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837-1909) I suddenly realize, having fallen victim to Covid fatigue, not to mention severe writer's block, that I've not written a blog in two months.  Always seeking my muse and inspiration, it came to me that this is a year for firsts, especially for me, some pleasant but not always.  Maybe it's the approaching Thanksgiving that has given me pause to look back on 2020...or as Queen Elizabeth II has said in 1992, "1992 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure.  In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an annus horribilis."   She had, in fact, experienced many personal and family tragedies. Fortun

Early Memories

Fond Memory brings the light                 Of other days around me;                                    The smiles, the tears,                                             Of boyhood's years,....                                                    (Thomas Moore 1779-1852) My infancy began on October 20, 1944 in Mt. Vernon Hospital.  It was an auspicious day, not so much due to my birth, but because Gen. Douglas MacArthur, as he had sworn to return, arrived back in the Philippines, wading ashore, with reporters and photographers capturing the moment.  My dear mother, Beatrice, (and the Japanese) must have been so surprised that she went into labor!  Back in that era, hospital "confinement" was up to two weeks compared to today's one day. I think my parent's total bill was around $25! My discharge was accompanied by little wads of paper from my Pediatrician, Dr. Henry Kaessler, instructing my mom how to feed me.  Unfortunately, I was not breast fed so I

Why A Blog Now???!!!

OH, NO...YET ANOTHER BLOG!!!! The internet is filled with blogs of every variety, taste, quest for knowledge and interest.  Why add my blog to this cornucopia of media? 1. I HAVE TIME:  At almost 73 years old and freshly retired from a long career in Medicine, I finally have time to get all my memories and thoughts in print. 2. MY MEMORY IS VERY MUCH INTACT: As the human brain ages, it tends to pare down neurons that are no longer useful. Blogging is a useful exercise to help this paring become more selective. 3. I HAVE HAD A RICH, FULL, AND HAPPY LIFE: I have taken many roads which would have ordinarily been untaken and I want to share this and perhaps help others to take some chances in life. 4. MEMORIES GIVE ME JOY AND SOLACE:  ...all the more joyful to share them! MY MISSION: WHY A LIFELONG CHILDHOOD???       Childhood is a time of exploration, acquisition of new skills, play, education. adventures, time with loved ones, loving and being loved.  It has provided me with